Saved by his boots - the man who was run over by a 10-tonne bus

A BRICKLAYER was saved by his amazing boots  -  when a 10-tonne bus ran over his feet.
Docs told Robert Phillips, 27, they'd have amputated them both, if his steel toe caps hadn't withstood the weight of the packed rush-hour single-decker.
His left  tibia and fibula snapped, and his ankle twisted 180 degrees, leaving his left foot back to front.
But the feet themselves were completely unscathed, thanks to his super-strong size nines, even though the wheels wnt over them both.
Phillip was floored by the Arriva bus.
It ran over the toes of his right foot and his lower left leg and foot.
The accident happened at a pelican crossing near the corner of Bangor Road and High Street, close to his home in Johnstown, Wrexham, North Wales.
He’s had a series of four ops so far, and docs say it will be at least 15 months before the bones heal.
“My tibia and fibula broke, my ankle was smashed to pieces and the whole left foot spun round 180 degrees,” said Robert.
“The doctors say I’m very lucky to have my feet.  If I hadn’t been wearing steel toe-capped boots I would have lost my feet for sure.  Thankfully they withstood the weight of the bus.
“My feet themselves don’t have a mark on them.  I always wear proper work boots.  I pay extra to get good ones, Scruffs, which are strong and comfy.”
Robert’s dad Nigel Phillips, 52, wasn’t so lucky with his boots.  They failed to withstand the pressure in a forklift truck accident back in 1985.  The toecap caved in, crushing half his right foot and he had to have it amputated.  He managed to return to work though, as a roofer.
Robert was walking home after his dad dropped him off when the accident happened at 4.30pm on 12th February 2014.
He was knocked to the ground, smashing the bus windscreen.
He fell against railings and landed on the road in front of the bus.  It went over him with its front wheels, and stopped with just inches to spare before the rear wheels also struck him.
“A woman driver put a blanket over me and I was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital.  I was there for six hours but my injuries were so severe they sent me to Stoke.”
Lisa Valentine, 23, of Ruabon, Wrexham, was on the scene moments after the accidengt.
She said:“When I went out there was a lad lying on the floor and he was screaming,” she said.
“He was in pain and he was getting gas and air from paramedics and they put him in the ambulance.
“It looked like he had broken his leg.
“The windscreen of the bus was smashed but he was lying at the back so I’m not sure if he was dragged by the bus.”
Robert, who lives with girlfriend Stacey Roberts, 21, and son Evan Phillips, two, was discharged on 3 March 2014.
He’s now on crutches but can’t leave his home because the open wound is prone to infection.
He has a metal cage built around it, which will be replaced in future operations.
“I don’t let it get me down,” he said.  “I’m very happy to be here at all, and to have my legs and my feet is a bonus.
“The docs said it was only thanks to medical advances in the last 10 years that they were able to save my leg.”
Robert was in such pain after his accident that he was twice given ketamine, designed as a horse anaesthetic and used illegally in nightclubs.
“I was tripping and talking gibberish,” he said.  “It was horrible.”
Robert wrote to Scruffs Workwear, the firm that made his boots, and told them they’d saved his feet.  They’re sending him a new pair.
Spokesman Chris Mellor-Dolman said: "All of our products are put through rigorous safety tests, and we're not surprised that they stood up to a ten tonne bus. Our gear is usually more at home on a work site, but it just goes to show that they can play hard too."
A spokesman for Arriva Bus Midlands, which operated the service, said: "We are pleased to hear the good news regarding Mr Phillips and we wish him a speedy recovery following the incident in Johnstown."